Send Topic Print
6pk start up (Read 629 times)
WM21M9A
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

6pk start up
09/08/17 at 11:04:52

I never had this issue before on any initial start up.   New carbs..gave the center carb a little drink, wants to start, but is backfiring out the rear carb. I'm thinking the rear carb hasn't got enough fuel yet, and I may need to crank it over with the coil wire disconnected to fill the carbs. Thoughts ?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Re: 6pk start up
Reply #1 - 09/08/17 at 23:18:47

Are the ignition wires on the distributor cap correct (firing order) Just saying from a similar issue I had. Two top tech mechanics (F.A.S.T experienced) and it took a few attempts starting to figure out the distributor was off and a couple of ignition wires in the wrong place.....the wires were my fault embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed A backfire to me doesn't seem like carb issue but hey I was dumb enough to misplace the wires so don't count on me  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

MikeR

View Profile   IP Logged
WM21M9A
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #2 - 09/09/17 at 06:57:08

The car ran ok before the carb change, and I didn't move/remove any wires. I think I should turn the motor over without fire until all 3 carbs are full of fuel, and then try it. Maybe the rear carb had only a small amount of fuel (too lean). Thanks for the input. I will recheck everything.

62maxwgn
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #3 - 09/09/17 at 10:45:58

Quote from WM21M9A on 09/08/17 at 11:04:52:
I never had this issue before on any initial start up. á New carbs..gave the center carb a little drink, wants to start, but is backfiring out the rear carb. I'm thinking the rear carb hasn't got enough fuel yet, and I may need to crank it over with the coil wire disconnected to fill the carbs. Thoughts ?

A little squirt will not keep it running,you need to have fuel in all three carbs,it takes a little cranking to get it there,be patient.  

View Profile   IP Logged
kevin69bman
5 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #4 - 12/07/17 at 22:29:53

The linage to the rear cab is to tight and holding the throttle plates open

WM21M9A
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #5 - 12/07/17 at 22:48:26

I found that the fuel pump, which was functioning before I  replaced the carbs, stopped working. I installed a new pump and fuel evaporator. After that, when I turned on the ignition, and cranked it over, all 3 carbs filled, and the car started right up. Then I adjusted the float levels, went for a test drive, and now she performs like she should. Thank you all for your input!  Smiley

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print