Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Lift Off Hood Playground
06/23/17 at 11:40:48
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The Brotherhood of Muscle - Dodge Demon (Read 1585 times)
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Re: The Brotherhood of Muscle - Dodge Demon
Reply #30 - 04/20/17 at 21:36:52

Quote from RoadrunnerJD on 04/20/17 at 20:38:12:
With so few A12's shipped by mid-May, you wonder how they could have shipped the balance of the A12's in the next two months? 1,907 vs 534 SB's and 1,412 vs 539 RR's= 3,319 total vs 1,074 shipped thru 5/9-5/13/69 leaves 2,245 to ship by let's say the end of August? The factory would have to ship about (140) A12's per week for 16 weeks through the end of August. It just seems like that would be difficult? Is it possible that maybe less total A12's were produced than they reported?

Quote:
It says in the letter that they scheduled 40 cars a day in April.

Dave

At 40 A12's per day that would be 58.1 days to produce the remaining 2,245 from the first (or second) week of May. That would put the last of the A12's around the end of June or first week(s) of July. Isn't there the belief that the last A12 was produced around the end of June, which would fit the letter. The 40 per day number could have gone up to get the production done on schedule. I bet Production Planning jumped in when they saw the surprise upped demand for the A12's and got them scheduled into the production line. Easy for them to sub a few A12's for Sales Bank cars and still fill confirmed dealer orders.

MikeR  

View Profile   IP Logged
6bblbird
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #31 - 04/20/17 at 21:42:12

I was told about a week in advance that FCA was going to rent the track for a few days and that Raceway Park would be closed to the public. Well, I'm not the public and I still had work to do during the rental! I was, of course, more than a little intrigued by the idea that a top secret test was about to take place at "my" track!
There were rumors floating around about a special drag car under development and I figured that it would be a new Drag Pack car. I was partially correct.
I had to sort of innocently make my way to the tower and starting line area. I was able to introduce my self as one of R.P.s managers ( I am one) and asked them if they needed any assistance and offered the use of our shop, tools, and lift. After that, they didn't seem to worry about me being there. I wanted so much to go right over to the cars and start asking questions but I figured that I would just observe and slowly absorb. Better not push my luck on day one!
Whoa! These are street cars! Very interesting!
First thing I noticed were the hood scoop, fender flares and huge tires. To say they made an impression was an understatement! I believe that there were 5 cars. Two were in full street trim. They were the beauty cars...basically just for photos and video. We've all seen the photos of the red one on the R.P. quarter mile.
There were 3 "mule" cars that were beaten on unmercifully for two days (and nights). For some reason the "mules had the fender flares removed and they all had full interiors at first.
I saw dozens of burn outs, 60 foot shots and 10 second quarter mile passes on day one. E.T.s were not very impressive at first but some of the mph showed potential. (135 plus)
I think that a lot of folks might have been bored watching this but not me. I knew that something big in the Mopar world was taking place!
WF
P.S. Almost equally exciting is having my car as the header pic on this web site!

View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #32 - 04/20/17 at 21:42:23

DAVE, THANKS FOR CONTACTING GEOFF AND GETTING COPIES OF THOSE LETTERS AND POSTING THEM HERE. AND THANKS GEOFF FOR GETTING THOSE LETTERS TO DAVE. Hope you stop by and chit chat some time!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

NOW DAVE THOSE LETTERS NEED TO BE IN THE ARCHIVES ALONG WITH GEOFF'S MCG ARTICLE AND LOCKED  Smiley Smiley

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!! Smiley Smiley

MikeR

View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #33 - 04/20/17 at 21:45:49

I missed that...40/day would do it. Looks like 10-11 weeks from 5/9 thru end of July or maybe into the first week of August would get the balance of the A12's done. I know the original motor in my black A12 was assembled on a Saturday so they were busy back then. I wonder what the latest A12 production date was?

View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #34 - 04/20/17 at 21:50:53

Quote from Dave Carson on 04/20/17 at 17:56:55:
Smiley Geoff Stunkard

So in the spirit or the Demon and light(est) weight the A12 RM21 Road Runner coupe/post car was the lightest of the A12's by NHRA specs. Wonder if that was with a bench seat or buckets and if the transmission type factored into that NHRA weight????  

View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #35 - 04/22/17 at 13:40:45

WHY?, WHY?, WHY? doesn't the A12 get the respect it deserves??? Even this "Johnny come lately" Demon and (no offence) even a 1990 Dodge Daytona made the all time Mopar drag car list:  cry cry cry

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/13-greatest-mopar-drag-cars-of-all-ti me/ss-BBzJy7o?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1  

And if you, Mopar, Autoblog, Chrysler, FCA, MSN or you other websites need a little reminder, here's the list that should really start after the top two 2-SEAT, ALUMINUM and FIBERGLASS SPORTS CARS with the true definition of an American Muscle Car!!!

MikeR  Angry

(Dave C, maybe this list can go with the letters and the MCG article please?)

50_fastest_Musclecars_and_Ringers_and_other_things.bmp
View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #36 - 04/22/17 at 13:55:19

How easily we forget how the A12's were marketed YEARS AGO!!

And YES that's a DRAG STRIP the A12 SIX PACK BEE is on in this ad!

View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #37 - 04/22/17 at 18:15:16

Agree with you Mike. I can't think of another more purpose built factory stock, affordable street legal drag racer ready for joe public than an A12? No car ads were more impressive than the TV ad showing Landy watching the lights come down on the tree and going thru the gears in a 1/4 mile. I think there are still a lot of car people today that don't know the 69 440-6 packs came with Edelbrock aluminum intakes and the lift off hood from the factory. By the way, what is the status on your gold beauty??

« Last Edit: 04/22/17 at 21:36:06 by RoadrunnerJD »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Aussie A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

My Wife yes, my dog
maybe, my
Dodge...never!

Reply #38 - 04/23/17 at 20:34:16

Well, the Demon hood scoop is 45 sq. in. opening, so if anyone wants to measure up their A12 scoop, lets put this one to rest and stomp on it before it gets any more mileage!

I'd do it but I'm at work.

View Profile   IP Logged
kevin69bman
4 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #39 - 04/24/17 at 22:43:05

My door panels are stamp coded early April Roll Eyes

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Big D A12
A12 Moderator

The next project
begins!!

Reply #40 - 05/08/17 at 22:46:16

Seeking 1969 Lynch Road fender tags - Over 2300 so far thanks to you!!
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
2016 Hellcat Challenger - PCP A8 BM Black Hood
1969.5 A12 Super Bee - F6 D21 V1H H2W
1969 Coronet RT - B5 D32 C16
More A12 cars on the hook!!

A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #41 - 05/09/17 at 05:49:07

Went to the Dodge site to check out the Demon and the Durango under the "Special Editions" https://www.dodge.com/demon.html and then https://www.dodge.com/demon.html but the best was really under the Durango link "Durango Brass Monkey" TOWING:  https://www.dodge.com/en/special-editions/durango-brassmonkey/

MikeR

Durango_with_A12_Bee_in_tow_x9.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
69Mike
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #42 - 05/09/17 at 06:12:43

My brother picked up a new 2017 Challenger Hellcat last week. I have ridden in some fast cars and drove a few before so I thought. I took it for a drive yesterday for the first time. Wow very impressive. I'm not sure why you would need any more than 707 hp. Things happen very fast and the A/C is on with Sirus cranking out some tunes. Going to be very hard what to choose for weekend rides now.

image_287.jpeg

66 Hemi Satellite barn find 4spd
69 Road Runner 4spd owned since 1982
69 Superbee A12 car 260
69Mike
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #43 - 05/09/17 at 06:14:33

Int

image_288.jpeg

66 Hemi Satellite barn find 4spd
69 Road Runner 4spd owned since 1982
69 Superbee A12 car 260
Big D A12
A12 Moderator

The next project
begins!!

Reply #44 - 05/09/17 at 21:39:27

Mike/Dan.  Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!

Let us know when either of you have your first moving violation.  Then your second set of rear tires... Cool  They are all defective, you know.

DD

Seeking 1969 Lynch Road fender tags - Over 2300 so far thanks to you!!
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
2016 Hellcat Challenger - PCP A8 BM Black Hood
1969.5 A12 Super Bee - F6 D21 V1H H2W
1969 Coronet RT - B5 D32 C16
More A12 cars on the hook!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print