Send Topic Print
Engine Compartment (Read 3742 times)
chrispy1971gtx
5 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Re: Engine Compartment
Reply #30 - 04/18/11 at 23:07:37

Now that you have the bulk of it cleaned up, next comes some rubbing compound (like 3m mirofinishing compound), followed by a good wax.

I think your spinning your wheels if you don't atleast seal it with something.  Even NuFinish would be good and help keep it clean in the future.

Also, cheap oven cleaner from the Dollar Store as well the their Mean Green cleaner/degreaser works great.  Trust, me.  My dad and I work on old tractors and cars on the side, and we buy this stuff by the case loads from Dollar General.  Always good to have some on hand.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
440jimr
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #31 - 04/18/11 at 23:50:30

Now this is what real patina should look like! Great job! Grin

Email View Profile   IP Logged
KITT
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #32 - 04/21/11 at 10:57:33

Geez Juan, I opened this post and thought I was looking at a picture of my garage. I sent my carbs out for restoration and decided to clean things up a bit while I was waiting. I ended up pulling the motor so now I have some cleaning to do just like yours. All this info will be helpful. I only hope I can stop before she ends up on a rotisserie! I have allready found an original air cleaner base, I need a right side manifold and I will be able to lose the headers and I am looking for a correct radiator. Im also going to change all the fuel and brake lines and get a proper master cylinder. I only wish I would have started this last fall.

engine_resize.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
KITT
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #33 - 04/21/11 at 10:58:53

Heres one with the engine out.

engine_out.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
easygoingjuan
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #34 - 04/30/11 at 16:38:30

Quote from chrispy1971gtx on 04/18/11 at 23:07:37:
Now that you have the bulk of it cleaned up, next comes some rubbing compound (like 3m mirofinishing compound), followed by a good wax.

I think your spinning your wheels if you don't atleast seal it with something.  Even NuFinish would be good and help keep it clean in the future.

Also, cheap oven cleaner from the Dollar Store as well the their Mean Green cleaner/degreaser works great.  Trust, me.  My dad and I work on old tractors and cars on the side, and we buy this stuff by the case loads from Dollar General.  Always good to have some on hand.

No I hear ya.  It has a coat or Meguire's Cleaner's Wax now but I'm researching what I can put on there that will last.  I saw and ad for some stuff called Rust Preventive Magic that goes on like a wax and is colorless.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Juan

easygoingjuan
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #35 - 04/30/11 at 16:40:15

Quote from KITT on 04/21/11 at 10:57:33:
Geez Juan, I opened this post and thought I was looking at a picture of my garage. I sent my carbs out for restoration and decided to clean things up a bit while I was waiting. I ended up pulling the motor so now I have some cleaning to do just like yours. All this info will be helpful. I only hope I can stop before she ends up on a rotisserie! I have allready found an original air cleaner base, I need a right side manifold and I will be able to lose the headers and I am looking for a correct radiator. Im also going to change all the fuel and brake lines and get a proper master cylinder. I only wish I would have started this last fall.

Oh wow, it still looks good though.  I've fought the urge to repaint for the same reason you mentioned.  Just a little at a time and it's not so bad.  Good luck.

Asta la Pasta.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print