Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Lift Off Hood Playground
08/21/17 at 17:43:31
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Did A12 cars come with the older style K Frame? (Read 3654 times)
BigDaddy440
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Did A12 cars come with the older style K Frame?
10/07/10 at 22:52:51

I'm trying to find out from actual owners if their A12 car (preferably a Roadrunner) came with the older style (same as 68) K Frame.

My car's K frame was modified for a deep sump pan. The production code no longer exists on the K frame and its the older (same as 68) style. So I'm simply not sure if my car has the original K frame or not.

According to my Fender Tag, my car was one of the first 20 ordered from Chrysler, so its a fairly early A12. Problem is, there are A12 cars that have special order sequence numbers earlier than mine that came with the newer 69/70 style k frame.

I'm fairly certain that my K frame was out once before, because when I was removing it last week (in preparation of rebuilding the front end) I noticed that my steering box had only 2 of 3 bolts in place and the pin in the steering shaft was missing, allowing the shaft and steering box to separate very easily.

If your A12 car, or an A12 car you know very well has the older style K frame and its thought to be original, would you please let me know?

Thanks!

-dan

Email View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Re: Did A12 cars come with the older style K Frame
Reply #1 - 10/08/10 at 08:25:41

What's the date code? It's stamped on the front center.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #2 - 10/08/10 at 08:32:28

JD, reread his second sentence.  Wink
Quote:
My car's K frame was modified for a deep sump pan. The production code no longer exists on the K frame and its the older (same as 68) style. So I'm simply not sure if my car has the original K frame or not.

Gathering A12 fender tag information, fender tag photos, broadcast sheet copies, and window sticker copies for documentation. Confidentiality assured.
View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #3 - 10/08/10 at 13:16:30

Dave, I read it. I had a 10 qt. Milidon dual line swivel pickup in my black car when I raced. You only have to cut off part of the back lip where it's close to the front of the oil pan. He may not realize that the operation on the K frame did not affect the area where the date code is located which is on the front of the K frame.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #4 - 10/08/10 at 14:21:31

JD, this car was personally documented and advertised by me, and trust me, there is no date code on this K-frame. The only thing left is the flat lip of the lower half, the top half is gone. Actually scary considering it's been a racecar since new.  Shocked

Gathering A12 fender tag information, fender tag photos, broadcast sheet copies, and window sticker copies for documentation. Confidentiality assured.
View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #5 - 10/09/10 at 11:59:01

I didn't know. I can't believe it was necessary to do that? Probably someone trying to put the motor in with the trans attached. lucky the rad support wasn't cut too! I think you can really get a deep oil pan to clear without cutting anything just with a hoist and a jack under the back. Milidon recommends trimming as necessary. Back in the day, I trimmed the back lip with a torch before I even tried to install the motor and then wished I hadn't done it.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #6 - 10/09/10 at 12:23:39

You're right, you don't have to cut a whole lot of the K-frame for most pans. This one has been cut a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
BigDaddy440
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #7 - 10/11/10 at 23:27:44

Well I could assume that all A12 came with the newer K frame. Anyone else other than Dave, have an early (first 50) A12? Which K frame do you have?

badsixpack
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #8 - 10/14/10 at 12:17:41

i had a couple a12 cars that had the old style k frame, but I just assumed they were wrong undecided

Email View Profile ace71x@aol   IP Logged
BigDaddy440
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #9 - 10/14/10 at 21:54:02

Quote from badsixpack on 10/14/10 at 12:17:41:
i had a couple a12 cars that had the old style k frame, but I just assumed they were wrong undecided

So were both of your A12 cars suspect of being taken apart? It seems rare to have the older K frame in an A12 car. So its surprising to me that someone could own two A12 cars and both would have the early k frame.....but stranger things have happened. So if you're correct about your cars having the older k frame, then they were either both taken part OR some of these cars did indeed get the older K.

Let me ask another question for anyone here... If you guys here had to replace your A12s K frame and you had the choice between using a older style K frame with a date code that is accurate for your car's build date OR a newer style K frame from a Lynch road car that has a 69 date code, but was built after your car's build date, which would you choose and why? Keep in mind, I have no idea what K frame my car came with, because my older sytle K frame's build date was cut out when it was modified. Thanks.

-Dan

badsixpack
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #10 - 10/15/10 at 08:35:31

Two out of five had the older style k frame,and I believe  they were restored incorrectly  at some time in the past....

Email View Profile ace71x@aol   IP Logged
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #11 - 10/15/10 at 09:11:59

Quote from BigDaddy440 on 10/14/10 at 21:54:02:
Let me ask another question for anyone here... If you guys here had to replace your A12s K frame and you had the choice between using a older style K frame with a date code that is accurate for your car's build date OR a newer style K frame from a Lynch road car that has a 69 date code, but was built after your car's build date, which would you choose and why? Keep in mind, I have no idea what K frame my car came with, because my older sytle K frame's build date was cut out when it was modified. Thanks.

-Dan

Dan,

I kinda remember years ago others coming forward with unusual K frames, in what were thought to be unmolested cars.... so I don't think it's a 100% certainty that anything 'out of the ordinary' is non original. Others here might have better memories.

Being an old race car I assume you don't have access to your original engine EAD... which we found to often be within a week or 2 of the K frame date (there's a thread around here somewhere on this as well as a list of members VINs/EADs/K frame dates for comparison.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
BigDaddy440
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #12 - 10/15/10 at 22:25:54

Quote from Coop on 10/15/10 at 09:11:59:
Quote from BigDaddy440 on 10/14/10 at 21:54:02:

-Dan

Dan,

I kinda remember years ago others coming forward with unusual K frames, in what were thought to be unmolested cars.... so I don't think it's a 100% certainty that anything 'out of the ordinary' is non original. Others here might have better memories.

Being an old race car I assume you don't have access to your original engine EAD... which we found to often be within a week or 2 of the K frame date (there's a thread around here somewhere on this as well as a list of members VINs/EADs/K frame dates for comparison.

Yeah, I have no way to know the EAD of the original engine....its long gone. I'm in the process of obtaining some of the original paperwork for the car, like the original title with the purchasers name....not even sure if the guy is still alive, but I'm crossing my fingers he's alive and well and still has a good memory....if I can track him down! It would be a long shot, but the internet makes the world a little smaller.  The car has only changed owners a couple of times, and I'm the third official registered owner.

-Dan

Lynchroad 69.5
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #13 - 10/17/10 at 21:47:28

[/quote]

Yeah, I have no way to know the EAD of the original engine....its long gone. I'm in the process of obtaining some of the original paperwork for the car, like the original title with the purchasers name....not even sure if the guy is still alive, but I'm crossing my fingers he's alive and well and still has a good memory....if I can track him down! It would be a long shot, but the internet makes the world a little smaller.  The car has only changed owners a couple of times, and I'm the third official registered owner.

-Dan [/quote]

Dan, your story sounds familar as my car was missing the original motor when I got it and I too had the older style K frame with no visible date code on it.  After an extensive search, I was able to track down two of the previous owners and sure enough, one remembered swapping the k-frame out with one from a 68 charger.  Based on the VIN #, My cars EAD is somewhere around May 20th so I went with the late 69 style k-frame.  However, with your early build date anything is possible.  If I remeber correctly the first A12 car has the early style k-frame and is supposed to be original http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/image_display.asp?vin_no=131477&op ener_image=http://www.justcarsites.net/~bestofshowauto/131477-46sm.jpg

BigDaddy440
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #14 - 10/21/10 at 01:11:09

Quote from Lynchroad 69.5 on 10/17/10 at 21:47:28:

-Dan [/quote]

Dan, your story sounds familar as my car was missing the original motor when I got it and I too had the older style K frame with no visible date code on it.  After an extensive search, I was able to track down two of the previous owners and sure enough, one remembered swapping the k-frame out with one from a 68 charger.  Based on the VIN #, My cars EAD is somewhere around May 20th so I went with the late 69 style k-frame.  However, with your early build date anything is possible.  If I remeber correctly the first A12 car has the early style k-frame and is supposed to be original http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/image_display.asp?vin_no=131477&op ener_image=http://www.justcarsites.net/~bestofshowauto/131477-46sm.jpg [/quote]

That's a stunning A12 car, but did some of the early cars not have the decals on the hood, or did the builder just decide to leave them off on that particular restoration?

-dan

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print