Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Lift Off Hood Playground
09/22/17 at 03:54:47
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
A12's with early racing history. (Read 40996 times)
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Re: A12's with early racing history.
Reply #60 - 12/20/14 at 12:42:02

Quote:
V10, I know a guy who raced a real Six Pack Bee with a Hemi and sold it to a guy from the Carlisle, In. area. I went to look at it, but didn't buy it because it had a Hemi. The guy acted insulted when I told him to pull the Hemi and I would put a "real" engine back in the car.

Many don't know how they devalue the vehicle with changes like motors, trans., rear-end, moving items from factory locations. I saw an original A12 a few years ago with battery in trunk, correct block but intake and carb change and a few correctable little changes. He wanted top dollar as seen on BJ sales. Really got mad when we pointed out all the wrong items and how the car was worth half of his asking price because of what he had changes.

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1969-1/2 [A12] Dodge Super Bee
1969-1/2 [A12] Plymouth Road Runner
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
* now looking for another A12 that needs TLC ....
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
b-body-bob
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

NOTHIN’ BUT THE FUNK

Reply #61 - 12/20/14 at 13:26:55

^ yeah the guy I bought my car from wasn't pleased how the things he had done thinking they were good ideas turned to be bad.  They all say the same thing though, "it was just an old car at the time"

Everybody makes fun of a hillbilly until they need something fixed
View Profile   IP Logged
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #62 - 12/20/14 at 13:46:02

I have looked at so much junk "correct A12 car" baloney on the Internet and used sale lots it makes me sick. The best one I have seen is for sale in St. George UT that is on the money - if your pockets are deep enough - $125K firm last year now at $120K wonder how low they will go.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/dodge/super_bee/1690433.html

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
V10
5 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #63 - 12/21/14 at 01:07:24

Quote from PJSIXPACK on 12/20/14 at 10:04:34:
Quote from V10 on 01/07/13 at 21:29:26:
My car is #440 on the registry and I don't know the whole history of it but it was a racecar for some time around Effingham Illinois. The original motor was gone and it had a 426 Hemi in it. They said the motor was built in a shop in Indiana.
It had extended shackles on it and 14x32s on it.
I am still trying to find out more about it if anyone remembers seeing it or has any info I would like to here from you.

V10, I know a guy who raced a real Six Pack Bee with a Hemi and sold it to a guy from the Carlisle, In. area. I went to look at it, but didn't buy it because it had a Hemi. The guy acted insulted when I told him to pull the Hemi and I would put a "real" engine back in the car.

If you went and looked at it was it by any change F6 green or yellow and black like in the picture?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #64 - 12/21/14 at 09:57:26

Red with black top, and poor workmanship - sorry.

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
V10
5 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #65 - 12/21/14 at 10:55:19

I am one or two owners from the history of owners of my car.  
I guess back in the day a hemi was a somewhat popular replacement if the original gave up.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #66 - 12/21/14 at 12:54:04

I used to have a Hemi in my black A12 from 1983-1989. It was a great showpiece but it never seemed at home to me until I got the 440-6 back in. If you don't have the original motor, a Hemi is not a bad substitute! A12's are my favorite but the Hemi is the Mopar icon.

69_A12_Hemi.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Dave Carson
A12 Administrator

A12 World
Headquarters

Reply #67 - 12/21/14 at 14:04:22

Quote from RoadrunnerJD on 12/21/14 at 12:54:04:
I used to have a Hemi in my black A12 from 1983-1989. It was a great showpiece but it never seemed at home to me until I got the 440-6 back in. If you don't have the original motor, a Hemi is not a bad substitute! A12's are my favorite but the Hemi is the Mopar icon.

I wonder what that air cleaner would be worth today John?  

Dave  

1969-1/2 Six Pack Super Bee F6 Hardtop
Car #27 - Lift Off Hood Registry
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #68 - 12/21/14 at 14:43:42

Quote from Dave Carson on 12/21/14 at 14:04:22:
Quote from RoadrunnerJD on 12/21/14 at 12:54:04:

I wonder what that air cleaner would be worth today John?

Dave

I sold it for $750 about 20 years ago and was pretty satisfied with the price. It's a rare piece. Supposedly only 50 Hemi cars were sold with the T/A hood. Note the seam is on the side and it's taped over. My A12 seal had tape on the seam as well. There is some question about it but I believe it was a standard?

View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #69 - 12/21/14 at 17:27:38

Quote from ProjectMopar on 12/20/14 at 13:46:02:
I have looked at so much junk "correct A12 car" baloney on the Internet and used sale lots it makes me sick. The best one I have seen is for sale in St. George UT that is on the money - if your pockets are deep enough - $125K firm last year now at $120K wonder how low they will go.

I'll agree it is super nice but not exactly "on the money". Where's the grille blackout and I thought the bottom of the radiator support is blacked out also....then there the sway bar and the lower control arm and..........................but at least the SIX PACK on the hood scoop is in the correct factory document direction Wink

Again one of the nicer A12's but not completely "on the money".....but just my opinion and well worth the $120k and those small details would only take a couple of five buck rattle cans to fix Cheesy Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Scott SixPack Robinson
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

The Last Badass
Package Car.

Reply #70 - 12/21/14 at 22:33:11

And I guess if you want over-restored floor pans .... .IMO the primer bottom is the only way to go ....

Super Bee - WM23M9A 270637 F6, 4-Speed
Road Runner - RM23M9A 246385 R4, 4-Speed (949002)

"Yes, I'm a Big Fan of H Wheels on A12 Cars" Smiley
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #71 - 12/22/14 at 13:05:09

Quote from A12 on 12/21/14 at 17:27:38:

I'll agree it is super nice but not exactly "on the money". Where's the grille blackout and I thought the bottom of the radiator support is blacked out also....then there the sway bar and the lower control arm and..........................but at least the SIX PACK on the hood scoop is in the correct factory document direction Wink

Again one of the nicer A12's but not completely "on the money".....but just my opinion and well worth the $120k and those small details would only take a couple of five buck rattle cans to fix Cheesy Grin

Are any A12's worth $120,000 today? Wouldn't the automatic and bench seat detract from the value?  

View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #72 - 12/22/14 at 15:15:22

Quote from RoadrunnerJD on 12/22/14 at 13:05:09:
Quote from A12 on 12/21/14 at 17:27:38:

Are any A12's worth $120,000 today? Wouldn't the automatic and bench seat detract from the value?

Ouch......okay then how about buckets and an automatic  Smiley (but there is a lot of work and detail on that bee no doubt and if you had someone do that resto at today's prices and then try to make a few bucks for the effort? Too many cars being sold for less than what it would take to do a top notch resto these days IMO. The time it takes to hunt down the correct parts and the increased cost of resto and reproduction parts you're better off doing a good resto and driving it than to do a great resto and trailer it and sit there and look at the shinny paint on the bottom of it Cheesy.......don't know where I'm going with this just babbling here on the keyboard Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #73 - 12/22/14 at 20:27:10

For some of us it's a labor of love and the cost (or time) is not the main concern. As in any restoration, it's easy to spend more than a person may be able to get back out of it. Just because someone spends a lot to have an expensive shop do the work doesn't mean it's worth what they have in it. It just means they have a lot of money invested in it. If you have the right combination and experience you might be lucky enough to break even...or better your investment. I am happy to enjoy mine by showing it and meeting all the people who enjoy seeing it even though I don't drive it. I have other cars to drive (love my 2013 Charger R/T). If I had another A12, I'd be tempted to just do a mild build motor, drivetrain and brakes and drive it to the drag strip to run it once in awhile.

« Last Edit: 12/22/14 at 21:07:05 by RoadrunnerJD »  
View Profile   IP Logged
DRE
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #74 - 12/22/14 at 22:48:53

I Agree with you John but you can't take it with you so you might as well use it like you want too.
Running it at the track doesn't hurt it and the car will still clean up Nice again.
Janet has been racing her RR since 2004 and if you look at it today it is still as NICE as before we ever went down the track.
Except for she needs to clean the rubber off it yet. LOL You will get more stone chips and damage driving it on the roads.

I LOVE the show cars and the attention to detail that is in them BUT like you said it is hard to get all your money back
out of them. For that reason you should use the car and get that amount of money and enjoyment out of it that you won't get back when you or someone else sells it for you. That way you will break even when you decide to sell it.
My A12 will be driven unless it's a long haul then I will trailer it, Carlisle is an example. Columbus is close enough to drive it.

I Applaud people like Gumpy that drives their car all the way to Carlisle but I am to paranoid to take that chance of  
something happening. I have a Good truck and a Good trailer so I won't take that chance of being stranded.

I know we have talked about this subject before and Actually the final decision is up to the cars owner on what he wants to do.
I Will Race mine, Street drive mine, Car Show mine, and God willing sell it to fund the final project for me.  
A 1936 Plymouth Coupe with a Blown Hemi, Dad's retirement car project!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!!
David

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print