Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Lift Off Hood Playground
06/23/17 at 18:37:43
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
A12's with early racing history. (Read 38459 times)
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Re: A12's with early racing history.
Reply #30 - 06/20/11 at 15:33:52

One more, thank you for your time.

poster2.jpg

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1969-1/2 [A12] Dodge Super Bee
1969-1/2 [A12] Plymouth Road Runner
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
* now looking for another A12 that needs TLC ....
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #31 - 06/20/11 at 17:40:02

WOW! Thanks for sharing that and WELCOME to the board Smiley Smiley Smiley

MikeR

View Profile   IP Logged
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #32 - 06/20/11 at 17:44:24

Where is the car now....................and where are you too?

View Profile   IP Logged
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #33 - 06/20/11 at 22:56:50

Quote from A12 on 06/20/11 at 17:44:24:
Where is the car now....................and where are you too?

The last time I saw anything about the car was someone on this website sent me an email asking for the VIN number. I furnished it and received this flyer the next day, called the dealer to double check the number, it was correct. I had high hopes of the car being in the low $20,000 range, sure got my bubble broke with this ad.   undecided

The only thing I could see different when purchased was originlally it had a "White" belly band not a "Black" one!

bandito_forsale_1.jpg

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #34 - 06/20/11 at 23:37:48

I have talked to several owners of these cars in the Denver metro area. Seems several have similiar stories about the early years of racing them. For some reason the old stories get way off from what really happened in these early years.  

For example people would come up to me at an event at Bandimere's (Denver dragstrip) where I was a NHRA Tech checking cars until 2007. They would ask if I was the owner of the "Bandito" car, I would tell them "yes, why do you ask"? They would go on about seeing us race at this dragstrip or another when they were young. I would reply "thank you for remembering". Then think about these different locations several states away, boy did they get things messed up. Heck we were lucky to run just in the surrounding states that bordered Colorado, I was divorced, making child support, paying for the race car and tow truck. Not counting gas, entries, food and sleeping on the ground at the dragstrips every weekend.  Fun now but at times hard way to spend your weekends when young, have had more baths in a sink at a rest stop than you would believe. !@#$%^.

Later

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
A12
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #35 - 06/21/11 at 12:12:57

Quote from projectmopar on 06/20/11 at 23:37:48:
I have talked to several owners of these cars in the Denver metro area. Seems several have similiar stories about the early years of racing them. For some reason the old stories get way off from what really happened in these early years.

For example people would come up to me at an event at Bandimere's (Denver dragstrip) where I was a NHRA Tech checking cars until 2007. They would ask if I was the owner of the "Bandito" car, I would tell them "yes, why do you ask"? They would go on about seeing us race at this dragstrip or another when they were young. I would reply "thank you for remembering". Then think about these different locations several states away, boy did they get things messed up. Heck we were lucky to run just in the surrounding states that bordered Colorado, I was divorced, making child support, paying for the race car and tow truck. Not counting gas, entries, food and sleeping on the ground at the dragstrips every weekend.  Fun now but at times hard way to spend your weekends when young, have had more baths in a sink at a rest stop than you would believe. !@#$%^.

Later

Great story...that last line hit home but not with drag races. I did back then in '69/'70 drag race my '69 road runner but I also started to race motocross in '70 and then went pro and then off-road (ISDT/ISDE) and took many a "sink-bath" at the rest areas and truck stops too Grin Grin but that's what a lot of us did when we were young and just wanted to race.

I know you have lots and lots of more good stories so where's that popcorn smiley thing when you need it? Sink-bath stories, making parts work with a pop-top or duct tape is all good stuff, thanks for sharing Smiley

MikeR

View Profile   IP Logged
sandbagger
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #36 - 06/21/11 at 19:40:01

Didn't Landy have a car that he raced and eventually gave to his wife?

"Hemmings Cover Bee"
R4 4speed Bee
View Profile   IP Logged
sixpakhemi
2 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #37 - 06/21/11 at 21:25:47

I notice from the picture of the Bandito Bee that was took of rear of the car it looks like it has turn down exhaust tail pipes not the usual chrome tips. Is this what I think I'm seeing? I've seen one other car in this configuration

« Last Edit: 06/22/11 at 20:53:12 by sixpakhemi »  
Email View Profile   IP Logged
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #38 - 07/09/11 at 00:06:46

Quote from sixpakhemi on 06/21/11 at 21:25:47:
I notice from the picture of the Bandito Bee that was took of rear of the car it looks like it has turn down exhaust tail pipes not the usual chrome tips. Is this what I think I'm seeing? I've seen one other car in this configuration

What you think you saw is correct, that was the way I received it from the dealer. This was the only one I really can remember seeing like this, they always had the chrome tips??? I thought I got screwed!!!  Grin

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #39 - 07/09/11 at 00:29:58

Quote from sandbagger on 06/21/11 at 19:40:01:
Didn't Landy have a car that he raced and eventually gave to his wife?

"The Dandy One" was a personal friend because of the "Bandito" car and he was just flat "COOL", his performance classes and liking Colorado dealerships and the way he was treated as "The King", cigar and all. We took in every performance class he offered. If I had a problem I would call him and that problem or part became available or fixed, how's that for service from "The Man". I saw him run his 4 speed Six-Pack car once at "Century 21" in Aurora CO - then the '70 Challenger came on board. I heard at that time the car was for sale, later we heard that a dealership in CA  made a deal for his wife to drive the car one season, that's "hear say".  Huh  Never heard anymore about the car which made us happy as it would have been "Bad News" if someone got it and went after one of the records our 4 speed car held "One Shot".  

We had a three car team of Dodges (1) Six-Pack  ("Bandito III" auto AHRA/NHRA Div Record Holder several times) (1) Six-Barrel ("One Shot" 4-speed AHRA ET dIV Record Holder) and (1) '69 Dodge RT 375 horse car would run under the index, but no records. This kept me busy keeping the three going, thank God for "White Owl" cigars and "Boone Farms" drinks, race track hamburgers sucked then like now.  Roll Eyes

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
RoadrunnerJD
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Road Runner, Catch
him if you can!

Reply #40 - 07/09/11 at 16:48:29

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProjectMopar
1 BBL/Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #41 - 07/10/11 at 01:02:58

Quote from RoadrunnerJD on 07/09/11 at 16:48:29:
Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for asking about my old car, makes one feel good to share old memories on one hand and sad that I was so dumb in selling it on the other.  Sad    cry    undecided

I'm having some problems with health issues and may end up sellin my '70 Dodge Challenger RT car now, this one will really hurt as its been a rotisserie restoration with upgrades through-out. See http://projectmopar.tripod.com/index.htm for the whole story.  !@#$%^

Barry "Buck" Conner
1959 Dodge D500
1964 Dodge Cornet
1970 Dodge Challenger RT
daniel_depetro
3 BBL/Pack Member

Warren, Michigan

Reply #42 - 07/12/11 at 23:04:53

Awesome thread!

1969 Dodge Super Bee, A12, 440 Six Pack, 4-speed, butterscotch exterior w/ black stripe, black bench seat interior, tinted glass
1974 Plymouth Duster 360, 4-speed, T5 (Sienna Metallic) exterior with white canopy (half) vinyl roof & stripes, black and white bucket seat interior, fold down rear seat, sport hood, Tuff Wheel, in glass rear defogger
Email View Profile daniel_depetro   IP Logged
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #43 - 03/23/12 at 09:16:54

Art Pacheco can't remember who he sold this Bee to. Does anyone know who owns it or if it's still out there racing?

Art_Pacheco_Bee.jpg

Gathering A12 fender tag information, fender tag photos, broadcast sheet copies, and window sticker copies for documentation. Confidentiality assured.
View Profile   IP Logged
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #44 - 07/08/12 at 11:55:29

Another Super Stock Super Bee. The photo was taken in Boise Idaho. Anyone recognize it?  It is a coupe, looks to be orange.

Boise_Bee.jpg

Gathering A12 fender tag information, fender tag photos, broadcast sheet copies, and window sticker copies for documentation. Confidentiality assured.
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print