Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Re: Engine Painting
Reply #30 - 12/24/09 at 11:32:39

Thanks guys.

JD, I'm 'on the floor' as my Bend Pak lift is next door to this room and more or less occupied with my kids many projects. No big deal as I'd prefer to keep my work in this 'clean room' if at all possible (man am I getting spoiled). I was looking into these 'Max Jax' lifts and considering a set (portability and low ceiling friendly) but money is tight so we'll be humping it together with minimal clearance.....And I'm not complaining! As a kid we did clutches, trans, engines, etc in gravel driveways, dirt floors in barns, etc.

Max Jax: http://www.maxjaxusa.com/video.html

Scott, I'm using a hemi pump which will hopefully satisfy 500 cubes via 3/8 plumbing (yes tank to carbs). Can't recall the particulars but the pump/fuel line combo was suggested as a popular choice in an old discussion we had on strokers. I'll try to find the receipt, or the discussion, and post later. Thanks.  

Bill, Thanks, I'll look into your observations and make the corrections. I appreciate the heads up. The plug in the manifold is how I got it years ago. Pretty sure I have an outey for that hole around here somewhere.

DSC00906.jpg
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #31 - 12/24/09 at 11:33:25

DSC00900.jpg
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #32 - 12/28/09 at 17:13:31

DSC00924a.jpg
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #33 - 01/06/10 at 09:33:31

Slowly getting it together

DSC00958.gif
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #34 - 01/06/10 at 13:50:57

Looking great Coop. Are you getting pretty close to firing it up once the clutch/trans is in?

Gathering A12 fender tag information, fender tag photos, broadcast sheet copies, and window sticker copies for documentation. Confidentiality assured.
View Profile   IP Logged
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #35 - 01/06/10 at 18:46:15

Thanks Dave,

Yep, lots of odds and ends to check and double check but should have this car running soon. No doubt there will be a 'punchlist' of things to correct, but I'm ready for anything.

Exhaust system is the last big dollar item. I'm calling Gardner, Accurate and Waldron this week to see what stainless they use, how it's bent, and what it's worth. Do you guys have any other vendors to reccommend?  

As 'over restored' I'm trying build in as much longevity and durability as I can...the time I've spent so far dragging this out, well... that alone justifies the idea! Had I gone the OE route this car would've started rusting and discoloring before it was finished.  Grin  

Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #36 - 01/06/10 at 22:12:22

I was happy with the Accurate complete exhaust, the bends are smoother than factory, aluminized steel, it never started to rust. About $800 for everything but was a complete bolt on system including stainless tips. Just make sure you tighten the heck out of the muffler clamps or the tailpipes will slide out of the mufflers. Installation was a one man job.  
I had called Gardner, around $1,500,  concourse quality including all of the restrictive factory bends. I don't think they do stainless.  
TTI is good but takes a lot of time to fit properly, even with 3 guys messing with it.  
Waldron isn't one I've heard of.  

Gathering A12 fender tag information, fender tag photos, broadcast sheet copies, and window sticker copies for documentation. Confidentiality assured.
View Profile   IP Logged
a12bee
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Huh?

Reply #37 - 01/07/10 at 05:44:23

Amazing coop.   Shocked

I can't afford this here either
mark
View Profile   IP Logged
Scott SixPack Robinson
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

The Last Badass
Package Car.

Reply #38 - 01/07/10 at 09:09:35

Bee-yoo-tee-full.

Not sure if you said Coop, but what paint code or Formula did you use for the engine paint?

Super Bee - WM23M9A 270637 F6, 4-Speed
Road Runner - RM23M9A 246385 R4, 4-Speed (949002)

"Yes, I'm a Big Fan of H Wheels on A12 Cars" Smiley
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
super bee liever
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #39 - 01/07/10 at 09:20:54

Quote from Dave Watt on 01/06/10 at 22:12:22:
I was happy with the Accurate complete exhaust, the bends are smoother than factory, aluminized steel, it never started to rust. About $800 for everything but was a complete bolt on system including stainless tips. Just make sure you tighten the heck out of the muffler clamps or the tailpipes will slide out of the mufflers. Installation was a one man job.
I had called Gardner, around $1,500,  concourse quality including all of the restrictive factory bends. I don't think they do stainless.
TTI is good but takes a lot of time to fit properly, even with 3 guys messing with it.
Waldron isn't one I've heard of.  

Did that include mufflers? If not, what or where are you getting?

View Profile   IP Logged
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #40 - 01/07/10 at 11:50:27

Quote from A12_RuNNeR on 01/07/10 at 09:09:35:
Bee-yoo-tee-full.

Not sure if you said Coop, but what paint code or Formula did you use for the engine paint?

Thanks Scott, used dupont 5067U which is the correct 'hemi orange', which is the 'less red' orange. Used it so the clash between R4 body color and engine color would be minimized. I was thinking that mandarin or some of the other choices would be redder (closer to R4) and increase the clash...so I tried to get a flat orange. Just so happened that the correct color is pretty much flat so I went with it. The colors are still close enough to clash, but it's not as bad as it could be. If the car was F6 or something besides R4 or V2 might've chosen one of the deeper/redder oranges. .02

In fact was up late last night repainting the compartment to give it more of a 60's look
« Last Edit: 01/07/10 at 19:35:30 by Coop »  

DSC01059_with_liquid_effects_5b1.jpg
Dave Watt
A12 Moderator

A12 numbers guy

Reply #41 - 01/07/10 at 17:29:38

Quote from super bee liever on 01/07/10 at 09:20:54:
Did that include mufflers? If not, what or where are you getting?

Yes, the complete Accurate system included the Hemi mufflers. I ordered it directly from them.  

View Profile   IP Logged
DRE
6 BBL/Six Pack Member

Lift Off Hoods
Forever!

Reply #42 - 01/11/10 at 22:51:49

That photo looks COOL the way it turned out.
That looks kinda retro looking.
Car is looking Good.
Keep the photos coming.
David

View Profile   IP Logged
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #43 - 01/12/10 at 08:39:21

Thanks Dave,

Weather has allowed some time to screw around lately, so I went even further with the image adding some text below... and yep the idea was to give it a 60's retro look (see attached) This GIF version loses much of the neon color effect, the JPEG version is much brighter but won't post here due to large size.

As I've said I have no delusions, the car is just another R4 mutt with body and part transfusions. That said, it's going to be a strong #2 built for local shows and driving. Some day I might have a special color combo car, or an OE type resto, or even a survivior which I'd see as a much 'nicer' car...but then I'd be more hesitant to drive it. I know Ed, Pete and some of the other guys here have proved that thinking wrong as they regularly race some incredibly nice original motor cars, but not sure I'd have the stones to do that. So I'm thankful for what I have. Especially thankful to be able to finish it off in this pi ss poor government engineered economy.

Clutch, trans and shaft should be in this week once some parts arrive.
« Last Edit: 01/12/10 at 09:46:19 by Coop »  

FINISHED_POSTER_WITH_TEXT_AND_EMBLEMS_2400x2074.gif
Coop
A12 Moderator

...so when does
government's 'A12
welfare' start?

Reply #44 - 01/12/10 at 08:44:04

Original photo used:

before_DSC01059_1200x900.gif